Re: Too many levels of symbolic links

Thanks Mike and Thomas for the answers.

Le 20-01-2021, à 10:15:09 +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de a écrit :

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 09:40:46AM +0100, steve wrote:
Question. What does the following mean?

# find /dev -follow -printf ""
find: '/dev/fd/4': No such file or directory

This is funny. At first I thought I could reproduce it by tricking `find'
into following a broken symlink, but with a "static" setup I couldn't.

Still, /dev/fd is bound to be highly dynamic: it's a link to /proc/self/fd,
i.e. a view on the current process's open file descriptors. It's quite
probable that `find' checks some directory entry, and at the time it tries
to do something with it, it has disappeared, leading to that error
message.

What is strange is that it is always /dev/fd/4 that is missing, even
after a reboot.