Re: Too many levels of symbolic links

On Tue 19 Jan 2021 at 11:15:05 (-0500), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 04:03:14PM +0100, steve wrote:
> > > It'd be interesting to know which one your startup is choking on.
> >
> > What does it mean more precisely? The lines come from syslog and only
> > mention partitions:
> >
> > Jan 19 09:09:33 box systemd-udevd[607]: sdg6: Failed to update device symlinks: Too many levels of symbolic links
> > Jan 19 09:09:33 box systemd-udevd[611]: sdc1: Failed to update device symlinks: Too many levels of symbolic links
> > Jan 19 09:09:33 box systemd-udevd[572]: sdc6: Failed to update device symlinks: Too many levels of symbolic links
>
> Well, the key information is that the program doing the complaining
> is systemd-udevd, so the problem is in one of the places that program
> works on.  That's why I suggested looking in /etc/udev and /dev first.
>
> If there are any internal pieces of systemd that it might be complaining
> about, then I don't know what those would be.

I think the OP is looking for a needle in a haystack. /proc and /sys
are full of perfectly correct loops of symlinks, and /dev/fd is a link
straight back into /proc. So I'd start searching at specific /dev/foo
where foo avoids fd.

I'd also check /dev/disk carefully for any partitions with duplicate
LABELs, UUIDs and suchlike. Have any changes been made in
/{etc,lib}/udev/rules.d/* ?

Cheers,
David.