Re: Too many levels of symbolic links

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 09:40:46AM +0100, steve wrote:
> Question. What does the following mean?
>
> # find /dev -follow -printf ""
> find: '/dev/fd/4': No such file or directory

This is funny. At first I thought I could reproduce it by tricking `find'
into following a broken symlink, but with a "static" setup I couldn't.

Still, /dev/fd is bound to be highly dynamic: it's a link to /proc/self/fd,
i.e. a view on the current process's open file descriptors. It's quite
probable that `find' checks some directory entry, and at the time it tries
to do something with it, it has disappeared, leading to that error
message.

Cheers
 - t