Re: No GRUB with brand-new GPU

On 2020-12-29 at 15:34, Georgi Naplatanov wrote:

> On 12/29/20 10:09 PM, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> On 2020-12-29 at 14:53, Romualdas Taluntis wrote:
>>
>> Last I was aware, AMD and Intel alike have Good Enough driver
>> support on Linux via fully-open code, and I want to encourage that
>> rather than NVIDIA's closed approach.
>
> Be careful with AMD/ATI video cards. In the past they were dropping
> support for not too old cards from their fglrx driver what I didn't
> like.

I used to run fglrx (on my previous AMD GPU, which I believe was on my
previous computer), but haven't done so in some while.

In this case I was/am planning to run the 5700 using the 'amdgpu'
driver, i.e. as close as possible to a fully open stack given the
hardware. I believe Phoronix has reported test results with that model
based on that driver which should be more than sufficient performance
for my needs.

--
   The Wanderer