Re: No GRUB with brand-new GPU

I have no official sources on this, but if you'd do an internet search for "new gpu legacy bios" you'd see a lot of people having the same issue, asking for guidance on buying a new GPU for an old PC, or wondering why they weren't better warned about such an incompatibility. I personally also had the same problem and found a rule of thumb when upgrading non UEFI PC with a new video card: use Nvidia (up to and including 10 series, newer also have same problem).

On 2020-12-29 21:26, The Wanderer wrote:
On 2020-12-29 at 14:20, Romualdas Taluntis wrote:

Newer AMD GPUs do not work at all or work randomly on some systems
with legacy BIOS since RX 500 series,
That's news to me, and I'm surprised not to have seen it better
documented; generational hardware compatibility breaks are usually made
fairly prominent, in my limited experience. Aside from a video link, any
sources / references on documenting this?

Not that I doubt that it's true, I'm just trying to get more background,
including on why and how it managed to slip past my attention.

--
Pagarbiai
Romualdas Taluntis