Re: No GRUB with brand-new GPU

On 2020-12-29 at 06:04, Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Wanderer wrote:
>> > https://www.debian.org/CD/live/) [ISOLINUX or GRUB ?]
>
> Anssi Saari wrote:
>> I can't tell without booting that, there are both grub and isolinux
>> directories on that image (debian-live-10.7.0-amd64-standard.iso that
>> is.)
>
> The ISOLINUX equipment is for legacy BIOS or EFI CSM, the GRUB stuff is
> for EFI native.

That would indicate that this will have been using the ISOLINUX boot
path, because as previously noted, this motherboard has a BIOS; if my
memory is correct it predates UEFI entirely, and at the very least I've
seen zero indication that it has one.

> Up to recently it was rare to see ISOs which boot from legacy BIOS via
> GRUB. Guix was about the most prominent.
> But Ubuntu 20.10 gave up on ISOLINUX and switched to GRUB for legacy
> BIOS. (This was not a cheap move, but given the maintainance state of
> SYSLINUX it seems inavoidable. The EFI image is not a file in the ISO
> but rather in the appended GPT partition number 2.)
>
> So if up to now it was always ISOLINUX which failed with that GPU,
> it might be worth to try
>   https://releases.ubuntu.com/20.10/ubuntu-20.10-desktop-amd64.iso

Unless the live-boot environment was actually using GRUB (which I'll
admit I can't entirely confirm), to date it's always been GRUB that's
failed with this GPU.

I'll probably find time today for another shut-down and swap-out to test
with an ISOLINUX-only boot medium; contrary to what I said in a previous
mail, I'm not positive that I have any of them on hand at home, though I
have plenty at my workplace. If I do test it, I'll report back here.

--
   The Wanderer