Re: Release status of i386 for Bullseye and long term support for 3 years?

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 01:25:05AM +0100, Linux-Fan wrote:
> Andrew M.A. Cater writes:
>
> > On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 07:06:45AM -0800, Rick Thomas wrote:
> > >
> > > On Mon, Dec 21, 2020, at 3:48 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>
> [...]
> > service > > that

> > CD > > and boot it - you may face probelms if there isn't a lot of
> > memory.
>
> [...]
>
> > > I'll file an installation report soon.  After that, I guess I'll try >
> > installing Bullseye and file a report on it.
> > >
> > > Does anybody know if there's an i386 Live DVD for Bullseye?
> >
> > Well, that's a good start :) The test suite we used to test for stable
> > release CDs is here:
> >  https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianCD/ReleaseTesting/Buster_r7?highlight=%28testing%29%7C%28cd%29%7C%2810.7%29
> >
> > - as you can see, we try and exercise as many paths through the standard
> > Debian installer as we can. Just knowing that there are people out
> > there who could help us test some more installs on real hardware helps.
> > You can always do these on KVM / virtual machines of some sort on AMD64
> > hardware but it doesn't exercise real hardware. The text-speech installs
> > for visually impaired folk are always tested on real hardware but more
> > tests are always welcome - as would be any comment on anything that's
> > unreasonable on low memory.
> >
> > Debian live CDs are not put out by the image creation team but by the
> > debian-live team: I suspect they'll be there before Bullseye main
> > release.
> >
> > For testing live CDs - download one or more and try them?
>
> [...]
>
> I tried to do a few tests for live CDs and the contained installers.
> Additionally, I tried the new Bullseye-Alpha3-Installer. I can report that
> except for the "Calamares" installer which did not want to run on a 512 MiB
> system, all of the tests I did, worked. As far as I can tell, the
> corresponding Wiki-lines that would get a "PASSED" from me are these:

Good: that gives us a datum point for Calamares - I'm really not surprised.

> 1105a debian-live-10.7.0-i386-lxde.iso BIOS Install from DI (Simple disk: single fs EXT4 Network enabled)
> 1105a debian-live-10.7.0-i386-lxde.iso BIOS Start Live Image
> 1106a debian-live-10.7.0-i386-standard.iso BIOS Install from DI (Simple
> disk: single fs EXT4 Network enabled)
>
> The more detailed report is currently at [1]. Is it OK for me to just fill-
> in the three lines above in the Wiki? It looks like the page is mostly used
> by experienced Debian contributors (and I do not even have a Debian Wiki
> account yet...)? Does a similar page exist for the Bullseye installer? Or am
> I on the wrong track and installation reports should go to an entirely
> different location?

This message should be enough: I'm fairly sure the CD images team will pick up
on it.

There isn't one for the Bullseye installer yet - as you can see, this is our
test harness for each individual point release - it's one of the reasons
that the actual release process takes 15 hours: the other is that the
architectures are built and moved serially - Steve M is working on that.

> It is to be noted, that live GUI systems are _extremly_ slow on my i386
> machines. Even LXDE which I thought to use the lowest ressources from the
> Debian live systems available cannot help speeding up heavy applications
> like Firefox -- it takes literally minutes to open Firefx and process the
> URL given as parameter. Xterm runs well, though :)

That conforms with my expectations: it may be that that sort of thing is a
good datum point for what should/shouldn't be built for i386.

Thanks very much indeed for trying and for your help. Next time there's a
point release due, pop into debian-cd on OFTC IRC and catch up with what
we do, maybe :)

All best,

Andy C.