Re: Release status of i386 for Bullseye and long term support for 3 years?

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 06:42:41AM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 13:42:37 +0200
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > That is, if you and other list subscribers care about continued i386
> > support you should probably look into contributing.
>
> And how does one do that?
>
> --
> Does anybody read signatures any more?
>
> https://charlescurley.com
> https://charlescurley.com/blog/

If you have "real" 686 32 bit hardware that you can press into service that
isn't being used: pick up a Debian i386 disk and try reinstalling Debian.

If you have "real" 686 32 bit hardware - get a copy of a Debian live CD and
boot it - you may face probelms if there isn't a lot of memory.

We *know*_ you can run 32 bit Debian on an AMD64 though without a lot of
obvious benefit - that's where some of the bigger packages like Boost and
Mozilla Firefox are having to be built these days.

If you read the thread over in debian-release / debian-cd lists, you
should see what people are saying. There's possibly an option to keep a subset
of packages to allow for running 32 bit closed source stuff like games rather
than a full release.

Interestingly, the same points were made by Ben Hutchings five years ago now
when Debian dropped 586 support - https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2015/09/msg00589.html
- they can only become more relevant with time.

As the person who raised the question initially, I may go back to the lists
with a summary to see if there's any consistent way forward.

All best,

Andy C