Re: Installation instructions.

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 at 10:05, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri 04 Dec 2020 at 07:20:19 +1100, David wrote:

> > I think this is an area that possibly needs some investigation or
> > improvement. I would like to know how this ISO search is being done
> > and what is the reason for the failure (and why can't I just specify
> > the ISO I want to use, no compulsory search!). However I've not spent
>
> Preseeding paramters on the linux line may be used to specify where the
> ISO resides:
>
>   shared/ask_device=manual
>   shared/enter_device=/dev/disk/by-label/<LABEL>

Great tip, thank you!

That will give me the ability to find out what kind of errors occur
when I deliberately specify the wrong one, I might learn something
useful from that exercise.

> The response from the OP was
>
>      > vmlinuz and initrd.gz are in the .iso. No need to retrieve again.
>
> This will almost certainly lead to a failure to discover and mount the
> ISO. BootFromISOinHD.jpg (provided by the OP) provides confirmation of
> this assertion.

Yep, knew that for sure. And thanks for your previous tip about
looking for the loop module in the initrd, that was educational
for me and I have put that on my list of interesting things to look
into. It's a long list :D