Re: Installation instructions.

On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 at 10:06, <peter@easthope.ca> wrote:

> Installation instructions.

> the CD image is not found.

Please describe at exactly what point in your attempt you reached
this conclusion. What screen messages did you see exactly?

Due to the flexibility of Debian installation there are so many
possible scenarios that to write a comprehensive reply would be time
consuming for us and probably lack clarity for you (eg the existing
documentation). If you provide more information (requested below) to
exactly describe your situation, someone might be able to offer custom
suggestions or even a tested solution ...

> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05s01.en.html#boot-initrd

Quoting paragraphs 2 and 3 from your link above ...

"""
If you intend to use the hard drive only for booting and then download
everything over the network, you should download the
netboot/debian-installer/i386/initrd.gz file and its corresponding
kernel netboot/debian-installer/i386/linux. This will allow you to
repartition the hard disk from which you boot the installer, although
you should do so with care.

Alternatively, if you intend to keep an existing partition on the hard
drive unchanged during the install, you can download the
hd-media/initrd.gz file and its kernel, as well as copy a CD (or DVD)
iso to the drive (make sure the file is named ending in .iso). The
installer can then boot from the drive and install from the CD/DVD
image, without needing the network.
"""

So:
1) Which of the above are you attempting? Paragraph 2 or paragraph 3?
    Please describe what is on the hard drive before the installation,
and what you want to be there after.
2) Given that choice (para 2 or 3), where did you get the vmlinuz and
initrd.gz you are using?
    Please provide a full URL to them so we can reproduce your situation.
3) Which CD image are you using?
    Please provide a full URL to it so we can reproduce your situation.
4) The instructions that you linked to begin with this sentence:
"""
To boot the installer from hard disk ...
"""
So from that we might assume (you didn't explicitly say yet) that your
goal is to run
the Debian installer from a CD image data that is available in a file
on an ext4 partition on a local hard drive. Is that correct?

And your CD image is *not* on a removable media, is that correct?

> Does anyone
> happen to know how the ISO should be accessed?  Loop mount at
> /dev/cdrom?

In my recent experience (using para 3 method), the installer searches the
local hard drives for files that it recognises. And this search can
fail to succeed
if I haven't done the proper dance first. The vmlinuz and initrd must
match the iso.
I don't know about para 2 method, I never tried that.