Re: Installation instructions.

From: David <bouncingcats@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 09:27:45 +1100
> Per the "paragraph 3" I mentioned previously and quoted at the top
> of this message, the required vmlinuz and initrd.gz for (current, stable, i386)
> can be downloaded from:
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/

OK, got them.

> These are different to the ones inside the iso ...

Thanks.  My assumption of no difference was/is lethal.  Any chance of
mentioning the distinction in the instructions?

(For interest.
An .iso image could be booted from a HDD by 2010 at least.
https://antixlinux.com/forum-archive/problems-with-boot-from-iso-on-hard-disk-t2683.html

In that method, the vmlinuz and initrd.gz inside the .iso were used.

Kernel parameters "from", "fromhd" and "fromiso" existed back then.
Examples are in AntiX pages including that cited above.  The from
parameters are no longer listed.
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.html )

> ... no need to use gparted beforehand although that could work ...

I understand but find gparted easier to use.

> That should work, let us know if it doesn't.

 http://easthope.ca/BootFromISOinHD.jpg

David, the current procedure is simple enough.  Have you or anyone you
trust run the procedure with the specific three (iso, vmlinuz,
initrd.gz) files you cited?

Thx,                                ... P.

--
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca