Re: Hijacking Threads [was: Re: rsync link corruption with -H and --link-dest]

On Sun, 22 Nov 2020, at 15:38, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2020 17:10:10 +0200
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Andrei,
>
> >Starting a new e-mail requires filling out at least the To: address so
> >it is easier to reply instead (especially with many addresses in To:
> >and Cc: that one wants to keep).
>
> For many people, yes.  However......
>
> Once one sets up an MUA correctly, one only has to click 'Compose' for
> all the required fields, apart from Subject, to be filled in.
>
> The trouble is, many, many people are used to the way Microsoft's MUA
> does things;  that is - not at all, or even worse, incorrectly.
>
> Examples:
>  In-Reply-To headers being transported, but not honoured
>  An inability to filter on sensible headers like List-Id
>
> You'll notice I've used Claws Mail's ability to Remove references, to
> place this mail outside the hi-jacked thread.
>
> --
>  Regards  _
>          / )           "The blindingly obvious is
>         / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
> The public gets what the public wants
> Going Underground - The Jam

Thanks to all who have replied pointing out the issues.

In my defence, I don't use conversation view in general (so lack experience) and had imagined Fastmail's documented approach (for its webmail and app) to be standards-based:

"Conversations get split apart and form new conversation threads when:

1. The subject changes
    This usually means a new topic is being discussed so a new conversation thread is formed.
[...]"

https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/conversations.html

I now realise this is at odds with the relevant standards (and eg. Thunderbird's approach):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversation_threading

Anyway, apologies.

Brad:

> Once one sets up an MUA correctly, one only has to click 'Compose' for
> all the required fields, apart from Subject, to be filled in.

When does clicking "compose" have this effect?

Thanks,
Gareth