Re: Hijacking Threads [was: Re: rsync link corruption with -H and --link-dest]

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 04:55:19PM +0000, Gareth Evans wrote:

[...]

> Thanks to all who have replied pointing out the issues.

No worries. Things happen. No need to defend yourself, I hope.

> In my defence, I don't use conversation view in general (so lack experience) and had imagined Fastmail's documented approach (for its webmail and app) to be standards-based:
>
> "Conversations get split apart and form new conversation threads when:
>
> 1. The subject changes
>     This usually means a new topic is being discussed so a new conversation thread is formed.
> [...]"

Yeah. That's, sadly, something Outlook inflicted on us.

> https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/conversations.html
>
> I now realise this is at odds with the relevant standards (and eg. Thunderbird's approach):
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversation_threading
>
> Anyway, apologies.

It'd on me to apologise should I have created bad feelings.

This mailing list is a big marketplace, and trying to point
out conventions which help to keep communication easy is
something I do from time to time. I try to convey things
without being hurtful -- just tell me whenever I fail at
that :)

Cheers
-- t