Re: Free-services lead to increased RAM and CPU requirements

On Mi, 28 oct 20, 08:26:15, John Hasler wrote:
> rhkramer writes:
> > Investigations started in the US congress (and, iirc, in the EC
> > counterparts) may lead to de-monopolizing some of those services.
>
> If you are referring to the efforts to gut the DMCA "safe harbor"
> provisions that will have the opposite effect.  Same for the efforts to
> impose Chinese-style "voluntary" censorship.  These sorts of things
> impose large costs which do not scale with the size of the organization.
> This will lead to an oligopoly of a few very large heavily regulated
> organizations, leading to calls for even more regulation.

It seems to me rhkramer is referring to this:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/06/technology/congress-big-tech-monopoly-power.html

(just one of the articles I quickly found via a web search that appears
to be readable without a subscription)

Kind regards,
Andrei