Re: Replacement Email Client

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 15:23:11 -0400
rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 27, 2020 12:15:46 PM Joe wrote:
> > On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 07:43:43 -0400
> >
> > Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
> > > [1]I used to read slashdot regularly, and on slashdot, the front
> > > page had a bunch of news stories and a poll.  The poll was
> > > written as a vanilla HTML form.  If you participated in the poll,
> > > it would send you to a new instance of the home page, because a
> > > form *must* load a new page.  Doing that would lose my place,
> > > showing a new set of stories, even if I hadn't finished reading
> > > the ones on the previous instance.
> >
> > It doesn't have to be like that. Nearly all of my web applications
> > just use the one page, though of course it does have to be reloaded
> > after a submit. Anything I want to be persistent, I need to arrange
> > through hidden controls, appearing as parameters in the reloaded
> > page. If someone is showing you a large number of random entries on
> > a page, then of course it may be too much trouble to do this, but
> > it is certainly possible.
>
> Is what you describe doing something you do on a web page or in an
> email?

A web page, for my own use only. I don't send HTML email. No, it's off
the original topic a bit, but that looks unlikely to have a satisfactory
answer.

I'd be horrified at the idea of a new, full HTML/JS renderer being
embedded in an email client. It takes years to work the worst of the
security bugs out of a purpose-built web browser, which is one of the
most complex pieces of everyday software around.

--
Joe