Re: Mail transfer agent (debian-user-digest Digest V2020 #932)

On Fri 25 Sep 2020 at 13:26:54 (+0300), Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Vi, 25 sep 20, 00:38:25, David Wright wrote:
> > On Fri 25 Sep 2020 at 03:40:16 (+0000), mike.junk.46@att.net wrote:
> >
> > > Trying to get mutt to send mail I've got this in .muttrc:
> > >
> > > set smtp_pass="myPasswd"
> > > # set smtp_url="smtp[s]://[user[:pass]@]host[:port]"
> > > # set smtp_url="smtp://mikemcclain46:myPasswd@suddenlink.net:587"
> > > set smtp_url="smtp://mikemcclain46:myPasswd@suddenlink.net:587/"
> >
> > I don't know the effect of specifying your password in both places.
> > (I believe the idea behind smtp_pass is so that it can be placed in
> > a separate, protected file.)
> >
> > I would expect the loginname (user above) to include a domain,
> > ie it's usually an email address. (Mine always have been.)
>
> Not necessarily, just very common. However, suddenlink seems to require
> the full e-mail address as well.
>
> https://help.suddenlink.com/knowledge/microsoft-outlook-set-your-suddenlink-email

AIUI there are many services that might be using, say, foobar.net
for home users and foobar.com for businesses, with the possibility
of identical local parts in each domain, all submitting through the
one host.

> > I don't think suddenlink.net accepts mail; smtp.suddenlink.net does.
> >
> > I omit the port number 587 as it's the default.
>
> Can't find any mention of this in neomuttrc(5), care to provide a
> source?

Memory fart: as Reco points out, that's not so, and in fact my
original reply included the 587, because I copied/pasted/edited¹
my own ordinary parameters. In this later thread, by chance, I used
my extraordinary ISP parameters² where I hadn't included the port.

I followed the link above, and they recommend 465, which I think uses
implicit TLS encryption. They obviously support TLS on 587 (and who
knows about 25), but I would recommend that the OP includes the setting

set  ssl_force_tls

in their muttrc so that they can't send any unencrypted emails by accident.

> > So I would have either:
> >
> > set smtp_pass="myPasswd"
> > set smtp_url="smtp://mikemcclain46@suddenlink.net@smtp.suddenlink.net/"

and adding :465

> > or:
> >
> > set smtp_url="smtp://mikemcclain46@suddenlink.net:myPasswd@smtp.suddenlink.net/"

ditto.

> The trailing '/' is not needed ;)

Maybe—I tend to just follow the documentation, and the mutt examples
include it, so in it goes.

> > > # set smtp_url="smtp://mikemcclain46:myPasswd@suddenlink.net:465/"
> > > # set smtp_url="smtp://mikemcclain46:myPasswd@suddenlink.net:465"
> > > #smtp.suddenlink.net::587
> > > #smtp_url="smtp://loginname@smtp.server.net:587/"
> > > set smtp_authenticators="plain"
>
> The default behaviour when not setting $smtp_authenticators at all works
> just fine to me with Gmail and GMX.

Sure. Ironically, suddenlink.net ask you to specify plain if requested.
For convenience, I keep a ready-encoded copy in /etc/exim4/passwd.client
as a comment after the actual password line.

> > > /etc/mailname says this:
> > > mikemcclain.46@suddenlink.net
> >
> > /etc/mailname should only contain a domainname, not an address.
> > Mine has just axis.corp in it, as I send mail from this machine.
>
> As far as I can tell mutt's SMTP support should work just fine without
> setting any domain in /etc/mailname as it's used only for setting the
> domain on local email and Message-Id headers.

It ought to—I have no idea whether mutt can even use it, though
I suppose it's possible—but AIUI the file belongs to exim4-config.
It "needs" a dot to prevent your being nagged about its lack, and
having an @ in it could screw up any use exim makes of it.
(I use it to set exim's HELO.) So I thought it best to mention it.

¹ Apologies for the extraneous dots and dollars when I pasted
  from a ?lisp emacs buffer.

² Currently I can't post here through my regular smarthost, so
  I submit posts directly from mutt through my ISP's own one.
  They demand both authentication and authorisation, so I set
  it all up by hand-typing the commands for a one line test email.

  When I copied the parameters from the test into my muttrc,
  I forgot the port because it only appears in the connection
  command, not the conversation. When I checked muttrc today,
  I realised I've been submitting through port 25, a port that
  they'd blocked for years. Perhaps there were technical reasons
  why they didn't use it for both ordinary smtp connections
  and email submission in the past.

Cheers,
David.