Re: Mail transfer agent (debian-user-digest Digest V2020 #932)

On Vi, 25 sep 20, 00:38:25, David Wright wrote:
> On Fri 25 Sep 2020 at 03:40:16 (+0000), mike.junk.46@att.net wrote:
>
> > Trying to get mutt to send mail I've got this in .muttrc:
> >
> > set smtp_pass="myPasswd"
> > # set smtp_url="smtp[s]://[user[:pass]@]host[:port]"
> > # set smtp_url="smtp://mikemcclain46:myPasswd@suddenlink.net:587"
> > set smtp_url="smtp://mikemcclain46:myPasswd@suddenlink.net:587/"
>
> I don't know the effect of specifying your password in both places.
> (I believe the idea behind smtp_pass is so that it can be placed in
> a separate, protected file.)
>
> I would expect the loginname (user above) to include a domain,
> ie it's usually an email address. (Mine always have been.)

Not necessarily, just very common. However, suddenlink seems to require
the full e-mail address as well.

https://help.suddenlink.com/knowledge/microsoft-outlook-set-your-suddenlink-email

> I don't think suddenlink.net accepts mail; smtp.suddenlink.net does.
>
> I omit the port number 587 as it's the default.

Can't find any mention of this in neomuttrc(5), care to provide a
source?

> So I would have either:
>
> set smtp_pass="myPasswd"
> set smtp_url="smtp://mikemcclain46@suddenlink.net@smtp.suddenlink.net/"
>
> or:
>
> set smtp_url="smtp://mikemcclain46@suddenlink.net:myPasswd@smtp.suddenlink.net/"

The trailing '/' is not needed ;)

> > # set smtp_url="smtp://mikemcclain46:myPasswd@suddenlink.net:465/"
> > # set smtp_url="smtp://mikemcclain46:myPasswd@suddenlink.net:465"
> > #smtp.suddenlink.net::587
> > #smtp_url="smtp://loginname@smtp.server.net:587/"
> > set smtp_authenticators="plain"

The default behaviour when not setting $smtp_authenticators at all works
just fine to me with Gmail and GMX.

> > /etc/mailname says this:
> > mikemcclain.46@suddenlink.net
>
> /etc/mailname should only contain a domainname, not an address.
> Mine has just axis.corp in it, as I send mail from this machine.

As far as I can tell mutt's SMTP support should work just fine without
setting any domain in /etc/mailname as it's used only for setting the
domain on local email and Message-Id headers.

Kind regards,
Andrei