Re: Mail transfer agent (debian-user-digest Digest V2020 #932)

> It ought to—I have no idea whether mutt can even use it, though
> I suppose it's possible—but AIUI the file belongs to exim4-config.
> It "needs" a dot to prevent your being nagged about its lack, and
> having an @ in it could screw up any use exim makes of it.
> (I use it to set exim's HELO.) So I thought it best to mention it.

As far as I recall[1] /etc/mailname is Debian specific[2], to be used by
all softwares (typically MTAs and some MUAs like mutt) that need a
domain part to construct a full e-mail address, when one isn't provided.

[1] too lazy to check where it's documented, quite likely in Debian
Policy
[2] as in Debian specific patches to support it

Kind regards,
Andrei