Re: Mail transfer agent (debian-user-digest Digest V2020 #932)

On Fri 25 Sep 2020 at 03:40:16 (+0000), mike.junk.46@att.net wrote:

> Trying to get mutt to send mail I've got this in .muttrc:
>
> set smtp_pass="myPasswd"
> # set smtp_url="smtp[s]://[user[:pass]@]host[:port]"
> # set smtp_url="smtp://mikemcclain46:myPasswd@suddenlink.net:587"
> set smtp_url="smtp://mikemcclain46:myPasswd@suddenlink.net:587/"

I don't know the effect of specifying your password in both places.
(I believe the idea behind smtp_pass is so that it can be placed in
a separate, protected file.)

I would expect the loginname (user above) to include a domain,
ie it's usually an email address. (Mine always have been.)

I don't think suddenlink.net accepts mail; smtp.suddenlink.net does.

I omit the port number 587 as it's the default.

So I would have either:

set smtp_pass="myPasswd"
set smtp_url="smtp://mikemcclain46@suddenlink.net@smtp.suddenlink.net/"

or:

set smtp_url="smtp://mikemcclain46@suddenlink.net:myPasswd@smtp.suddenlink.net/"

> # set smtp_url="smtp://mikemcclain46:myPasswd@suddenlink.net:465/"
> # set smtp_url="smtp://mikemcclain46:myPasswd@suddenlink.net:465"
> #smtp.suddenlink.net::587
> #smtp_url="smtp://loginname@smtp.server.net:587/"
> set smtp_authenticators="plain"

Seems ok from 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN below.

> # set smtp_authenticators=
> set envelope_from_address="mikemcclain46@suddenlink.net"
> set use_envelope_from
>
> The commented lines above are things I tried that didn't work.
>
> This is a line from /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf that worked when I had exim4 installed:
> dc_smarthost='smtp.suddenlink.net::587'

That looks ok. I get the response (using port 587):

250 STARTTLS
ehlo axis.corp
250-omta04.suddenlink.net
250-HELP
250-XREMOTEQUEUE
250-ETRN
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-PIPELINING
250-DSN
250-8BITMIME
250 SIZE 52428800

> /etc/mailname says this:
> mikemcclain.46@suddenlink.net

/etc/mailname should only contain a domainname, not an address.
Mine has just axis.corp in it, as I send mail from this machine.

> trying to send mail via mutt:
>     Could not connect to suddenlink.net (Interrupted system call).
>
> Thinking postfix might be messing things up I deleted it.
> That made no difference so I installed dma, still no outgoing mail, deleted.
>
> What am I missing?

Cheers,
David.