Re: ssh fingerprint mismatch for one single client

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 01:59:41PM -0300, Beco wrote:
> Thank you all so much for thid new batch of input Mick, LARAC, David, Tomas
> and Reco
> Bellow I'll try to answer in a brief way all at once:
>

> On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 at 00:34, mick crane <mick.crane@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is this Putty or something with keys on student's PC ?
>
> No keys on PUTTY. Log in with password.
>
> > If worked before maybe something went wrong with the saved connection
> > but that doesn't explain why cannot connect via phone>router WIFI unless
> > there is separate issue there.
>
> Exactly. How come phone>wifi don't work, and phone>mobile-net works ?

Yes. Given the data you've provided, I retract my first hunch: it seems
your student is seeing a different host:

 - either DNS resolves to a different IP address -- then you'd see
   different IP addresses for your server as viewed from your student's
   workstation wrt the "rest of the world

 - or routing sends your student to a different host (claiming the
   same IP address, that stinks ;-)

Traceroute might help in the second case. Besides, you wouldn't see your
student's access attempts in your server logs -- after all, he's knocking
at another door.

Cheers
 - t