ssh fingerprint mismatch for one single client

Dear linuxers,

I've a server and one of my students is getting a wrong fingerprint when trying to connect via SSH.

After a lot of debug, we are still unable to pinpoint why.

The server didn't change IP or keys, and other students still log in ok with the correct fingerprint. Just one student, let's call him Bob (because why not), is not getting through.

I've asked Bob to try a different machine, which he does not have, being a poor student. But he had a mobile, so after trying the app juiceSSH and wifi on, he again got the wrong fingerprint.

I asked him to turn the wifi off for the mobile and yes, he got the correct fingerprint.

I also asked him to run a full antivirus scan in his notebook (windows) and nothing was found.

He also hard-reseted the router, still the problem continues.

He called the ISP for any clues, but it is a small company who doesn't know the word "fingerprint" neither in english nor in their native language. So, not much help there.

I also asked him to check if his IP is what he think it is, and he checked with one of these "what is my IP" website and it is ok.

As for DNS, I asked him to try to ssh directly using the server's IP instead of the name, but still the wrong fingerprint.

Kinda crazy, right? I run out of ideas...

What else should I try to help that student?

Thanks
Beco

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant" -- Alan Greenspan

Creation date: pgp.mit.edu ID as of 2014-11-09

Essa mensagem é destinada exclusivamente ao seu destinatário e pode conter informações confidenciais, protegidas por sigilo profissional, direitos autorais reservados, ou cuja divulgação seja proibida por lei. O uso não autorizado de tais informações é proibido e está sujeito às penalidades cabíveis.

This message is intended exclusively for its addressee and may contain information that is confidential and protected by a professional privilege, reserved copyright, or whose disclosure is prohibited by law. Unauthorized use of such information is prohibited and subject to applicable penalties.