Re: In network bonding second nic (eth1) is not pingable while first one (eth0) is always pingable"

Jaikumar Sharma wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm using Debian 10 (point release 5) and i've set up the bonding for
> eth0 and eth1 in 'active-backup' mode, i'm using virtualbox VM for
> testing it, if i disconnect cable (virtually from first ethernet -
> eth0) ping to bond0 IP stops and if i disconnect it from eth1 and
> reconnect on eth0 ping again start working. Do not really know what is
> wrong!
>
> Problem in [1] (searched mail archives) is same but no solution is
> given there or user did not respond further on it, he/she might have
> found the solution already, though there are some tests which i've
> performed as mentioned in [1] and without bonding (dual network mode)
> I can ping both IP from remote.

> In this setup i'm using a D-Link 8 port switch to connect eth0 using
> ethernet cable and eth1 is connected on wireless adapter of my laptop.

You don't want a bond, you want a bridge.

Bonding takes two interfaces that talk to the same switch on the
other side, and makes them into one bond nic. You need support
on the switch, too, which is unlikely in a D-Link 8-port unless
it has a management interface -- I think they don't bother under
16 or 24 ports, and even then it's an extra-cost option.

-dsr-