Re: question regarding no space left on device message

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your email and recommendation. It seems that knoppix uses less ram. However I do not know how to install new programs in knoppix (still there is apt-get install as a command, but debian packages no longer seem to work, and I do not know which packages work with knoppix system, and I believe this is a forum on debian so I am not sure where to ask the knoppix questions.) I also can not adjust screen brightness, and I had to boot with secure boot disabled.
Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net>, 21 Ağu 2020 Cum, 14:56 tarihinde şunu yazdı:
Hi,

Semih Ozlem wrote:
> I used "dd if=isofilename of=devicename"

So the partition table afterwards is the one which came with the ISO.
MBR based, but accompanied by an invalid GPT.

Further, this implies that your Live system is only running on RAM
and not using a writable system disk.

You could add a data partition on the USB stick to store all extra
data there. But for that you would probably have to set up the partition
usage every time you start the system. (Mount partition, move data from
RAM disk to USB stick, install symbolic link from RAM disk to partition ...)

I would not strive for such a contraption, unless for the sake of art.

If i'd want to stay with a Live system, i'd use more RAM.
Else i would consider a normal installation, as mentioned by David
Christensen.

A compromise might be Knoppix, which is prepared to expand its data
partition up to the end of the UBS stick when it gets bootet from that
stick for the first time. (Put the ISO onto the stick like you did
with Debian Live.)
  http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN.iso
  http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN.iso.sha256.asc
Knoppix might be prepared to put all additionally installed .deb packages
onto the data partition. You'll have to try.

> Also if one creates a partition on some device, say /dev/sda becomes
> /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3 after partitioning (which can be done with
> gnome disk utility, or gparted, or from the command line, and I forget the
> exact commands now probably "parted mkpart") then "dd if=isofilename.iso
> of=/dev/sda1" is an instance of placing iso file onto a device that I use.

That would be wrong, unless the stick is equipped with an own boot loader
which can chainload the ISO's boot loader from the partition. Something
like is described in
  https://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-multiple-iso-from-usb-via-grub2-using-linux/#more-5352
You don't get that from partition editors.

> I am not sure about the last option oflag=sync

It causes the i/o system to take the data only as fast from dd as fast
as it can be written to the stick. No large buffering in RAM shall happen.
It's a good companion for status=progress in order to see steady and
realistic progress messages.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas