Re: In network bonding second nic (eth1) is not pingable while first one (eth0) is always pingable"

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 9:30 PM Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> You don't want a bond, you want a bridge.
>
> Bonding takes two interfaces that talk to the same switch on the
> other side, and makes them into one bond nic. You need support
> on the switch, too, which is unlikely in a D-Link 8-port unless
> it has a management interface -- I think they don't bother under
> 16 or 24 ports, and even then it's an extra-cost option.
Just see this webpage on
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_openstack_platform/13/html/advanced_overcloud_customization/overcloud-network-interface-bonding
it says :

bond_mode=active-backup

This mode offers active/standby failover where the standby NIC resumes
network operations when the active connection fails. Only one MAC
address is presented to the physical switch. This mode does not
require any special switch support or configuration,and works when the
links are connected to separate switches. This mode does not provide
load balancing.

** This mode does not require any special switch support or
configuration -- stated in the above para.
Now, with this is not really clear where the problem is?

thanks.