Re: Final CDs being written for Stretch - 9.13 release - prior to LTS

> There is a generation of machines that can boot from optical media
> but not USB sticks. (I have one.)

Indeed, IIRC my macmini-2,1 can boot from USB but only via EFI and not
via "MBR aka BIOS".  And my Thinkpad X30 can boot from a USB floppy but
I never managed to make it boot from a "non-floppy USB Mass Storage".

> But even in that case, there's no need to burn anything more than
> a netinst CD for booting from. The installed system can then be
> extended with packages from USBs or self-made optical media.

Indeed.  Maybe Debian should move further in that direction: focus on
USB installs and provide some "helper CDs" which don't do anything more
than provide something like a GRUB that then lets you boot the Debian
install provided via a USB drive for those rare old machines that can't
boot directly from the USB drive.

The good thing about those helper CDs would be that they could stay
unchanged across many Debian versions.

        Stefan