Re: Final CDs being written for Stretch - 9.13 release - prior to LTS

On Sun 19 Jul 2020 at 16:25:31 (-0400), Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> At this point in 2020, I think it would be reasonable to only produce
> >> netinst images and jigdo (and live, but that's a different-ish
> >> project). Drop the DVD images.
>
> An alternative is to have "virtual ISO images", i.e. images which are
> constructed on the fly (presumably by jigdo) on the web-server side.
>
> > Though this doesn't apply to me, I can imagine a fair few people in the
> > world who don't have access to fast, cheap internet who would
> > appreciate a DVD image that they can simply download somewhere where
> > they can get good internet. e.g. library, work, education
> > establishment. Or could get someone else to do that and mail it.
>
> I'm not sure why the discussion is always around DVD images.
> Would you be equally happy with an image only for a USB flash drive, or
> is it important for it to be an image for optical media?
>
> I always found optical media very unappealing, even back when its
> capacity and price were strongly in its favor.  Nowadays, I'm having
> a hard time imagining a circumstance when it would be a good choice.

There is a generation of machines that can boot from optical media
but not USB sticks. (I have one.) But even in that case, there's no
need to burn anything more than a netinst CD for booting from. The
installed system can then be extended with packages from USBs or
self-made optical media.

Cheers,
David.