Re: Final CDs being written for Stretch - 9.13 release - prior to LTS

Andrew Cater wrote:
> Separately, we also had a quick think about the numbers of iso images in
> general. A suggestion: For the future, we should produce physical media for
> the netinst.iso, the first DVD image in any set and one larger image to be
> written to a USB stick if wanted - and corresponding source for each size.
> All other .iso files to be distributed as .jigdo and .template files.In
> most instances, the netinst is enough, if you have network connectivity and
> bandwidth. The DVD is enough to install the basis of any of the graphical
> environments readily. This does not mean that you couldn't produce every
> other image - but very few people are on a desert island and need every
> piece of software Debian has produced on physical media.

At this point in 2020, I think it would be reasonable to only produce
netinst images and jigdo (and live, but that's a different-ish
project). Drop the DVD images.

All of my installs in the last six years have either been via a
USB netinst image or PXE. New laptops and desktops are generally
shipping without optical drives at all. My oldest non-toy
hardware can boot via USB.

-dsr-