Re: Final CDs being written for Stretch - 9.13 release - prior to LTS

On Sunday 19 July 2020 16:25:31 Stefan Monnier wrote:

> >> At this point in 2020, I think it would be reasonable to only
> >> produce netinst images and jigdo (and live, but that's a
> >> different-ish project). Drop the DVD images.
>
> An alternative is to have "virtual ISO images", i.e. images which are
> constructed on the fly (presumably by jigdo) on the web-server side.
>
> > Though this doesn't apply to me, I can imagine a fair few people in
> > the world who don't have access to fast, cheap internet who would
> > appreciate a DVD image that they can simply download somewhere where
> > they can get good internet. e.g. library, work, education
> > establishment. Or could get someone else to do that and mail it.
>
> I'm not sure why the discussion is always around DVD images.
> Would you be equally happy with an image only for a USB flash drive,
> or is it important for it to be an image for optical media?

With the exception of this new Asus mobo, none of my other 4 machines can
boot from usb.  So I'd have to have locally written DVD's. Or in the
case of the pi4, a usb driven u-sd card writer.

> I always found optical media very unappealing, even back when its
> capacity and price were strongly in its favor.  Nowadays, I'm having
> a hard time imagining a circumstance when it would be a good choice.
>

>         Stefan

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis