Re: Final CDs being written for Stretch - 9.13 release - prior to LTS

Hi,

Andrew Cater wrote:
> It does seem that
> we may be able to stop routine production of as many images. Netinst,
> something DVD-ish sized (so smaller than 8G) and some (larger file size ??)
> may do it.

How about being storage-neutral and drop amd64-DVD-2.iso and
amd64-DVD-3.iso in favor of a new amd64-STICK8GB-1.iso ?

That would mean the dropped DVDs 2 and 3 have to be downloaded by jigdo
like DVDs 4 to 16 (or like DVD 2 and 3 of arm64).
Question is what is on DVD 3 that will be missing for a "normal" Debian
installation from STICK8GB.

Really generous with more than all DVD.iso packages would be a readily
downloadable amd64-STICK16GB-1.iso (currently only available via jigdo).

> Jigdo does work well to build .iso images
> - it might need more documentation.

Especially the documentation needs to be where the .jigdo files are.

I meanwhile learned that SuSE has a package "jigdo" which provides
jigdo-lite. (It's not easy to get a file list of their packages online.)
Fedora too has jigdo-lite in package "jigdo".
(Well, when debian-cd switches to SHA256 for jigdo, those will need a
 nudge.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas