Re: Suggestion for systemd and /usr on seperate partition

On Thu 09 Jul 2020 at 11:02:49 (+0200), tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 10:56:26AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Sounds pretty risky.
> >
> > Sure. On the other hand, what is the point of using LVM if one is not
> > going to use it to adjust partitions when required?
>
> You first have to copy stuff, then delete stuff, then shrink, then move
> around. So at some point, you need double the space /usr is taking.
>
> LVM won't change that.
>
> Not a process I'd be comfortable rolling out for a distro to run
> automatically on wildly different user's machines out there. No way.

Agreed. And implementing such a change as an upgrade, running on the
system that's being "adjusted", seems misguided.

A separate / and /usr only becomes an encumbrance when you boot the
system: there's no problem while the system is up and running.
So there's no reason to change it on a live system: wait until it's
down for some reason.

And read the Release Notes before a dist-upgrade!

Cheers,
David.