Re: Suggestion for systemd and /usr on seperate partition

On Tue, Jul 07, 2020 at 10:45:17AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
On Wed 08 Jul 2020 at 00:41:12 (+1000), Andrew McGlashan wrote:
On 2/11/14 8:58 am, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> * David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> [2014-11-01 19:13 +0200]:
>> On Friday 31 October 2014 13:08:27 Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> It's your decision. MODULES=most should be okay. BUSYBOX=y is
>>> essential.
>>
>> This is what the install gave me.  I have not touched it.
>> Where do I tell it to mount /usr?
>
> No need to. initramfs-tools does it by default. Check dmesg or
> journal.

Still today, it fails to mount /usr if /usr is a logical volume using lvm2

I worked around that problem with an extra "activate" line in the following file:

   /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/lvm2

       activate "/dev/mapper/vg0-usr"

I placed that after the line to activate ROOT....

So, still broken after all this time :(

Is this link worth a read?

https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken/

BTW the first line of the thread is "completely without starting any flamewars:"

The short answer is that there simply isn't a good reason to do this on a modern system, and there is no volunteer to donate the enormous amount of effort required to make something work for which there isn't a good justification for expending that effort. There should be no flamewar, if someone wants the situation to change they simply need to be the person who puts in all the work.