Re: Suggestion for systemd and /usr on seperate partition

Hi,

On 8/7/20 2:11 am, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 07, 2020 at 10:45:17AM -0500, David Wright wrote:

>>> Still today, it fails to mount /usr if /usr is a logical volume using lvm2
>>>
>>> I worked around that problem with an extra "activate" line in the following file:
>>>
>>>    /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/lvm2
>>>
>>>        activate "/dev/mapper/vg0-usr"
>>>
>>> I placed that after the line to activate ROOT....
>>>
>>> So, still broken after all this time :(
>>
>> Is this link worth a read?
>>
>> https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken/
>>
>> BTW the first line of the thread is "completely without starting any flamewars:"
>
> The short answer is that there simply isn't a good reason to do this on a modern system, and there is no volunteer to donate the enormous amount of effort required to make
> something work for which there isn't a good justification for expending that effort. There should be no flamewar, if someone wants the situation to change they simply need to be
> the person who puts in all the work.

Just doing dist-upgrade with a perfectly acceptable file system previously is no reason why it should break.

The mentioned intramfs config file has a strange note about it being "dangerous" to enable activate all logical volumes, why?!?!?!

Debian/Devuan are Linux distros that allow for continuous upgrading without re-installing; the fact that MANY systems have previously separated root and /usr and, effectively
"times have changed" really isn't an acceptable answer.

Even systemd doesn't seem to think it should be a problem for those that choose to use systemd.

A.