Re: Advice on hardware server to use for small a dedicated data center

On 6/29/20 7:20 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:

Miles Fidelman wrote:
On 6/29/20 9:10 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:

Miles Fidelman wrote:
Now who's being pedantic?
Precisely.

And isn't this exactly what I said??? mdadm is an admin program, it doesn't
perform the raid function.
And it's OK to refer to the whole thing as an mdadm RAID.

No.. if you want to be pedantic, the proper terminology is "Linux Raid" or "md RAID."  mdadm is one of several admin programs available

saying "mdadm raid" is like saying "libvert hypervisor" - when what you really mean is Xen, or KVM, or ESXI - accessed through libvert

When you're building systems, details matter.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown