Re: Advice on hardware server to use for small a dedicated data center

echo test wrote:
> Then, I want to build a small data center for my company for hosting a web
> app and a mail server. It's the first time I'm going to buy some hardware
> for this. I tried looking for it on the web in order to compare them but it
> seems that hardware vendors never want to talk about Debian on their
> websites.

> So, I want to know if It's a good idea to try using Debian in an enterprise
> context, with hardwares like Dell EMC PowerEdge or Lenovo ThinkCenter which
> seems to never mention that they support Debian. What kind of issues can I
> encounter with such hardwares except simple cases like having to install
> missing drivers with some already available firmwares.
>
> Can you give me some alternative hardwares in case this idea may take me to
> much time to solve ?

My employer runs more than a hundred Debian servers, mostly on
Supermicro hardware, but some HP as well.

We have very few hardware problems.

> Note: I will need some RAID solution hard or soft.

We are firmly of the opinion that mdadm or ZFS are the best
solutions here.

To give an idea of what you might buy:

a firewall/router
a switch
a load-balancer
2 web servers
a database server
a mail server
a general utility box with lots of storage to handle backups

All of those duties except the switch can reasonable be run on
Debian servers.

a firewall/router - nftables. You will want at least 3 ethernet
  ports. CPU is not usually an issue. RAM is never an issue.
  Disk space can be tiny.

a load-balancer - ldirectord, or haproxy, or possibly nginx. You
  won't need much CPU unless you run SSL on nginx. You won't
  need very much RAM, or disk space.

2 web servers - nginx or apache or whatever makes your
  developers happy. These probably need CPU and a fair amount of
  RAM, but not much disk space

a database server - postgresql. This will be your biggest box,
  with large disk arrays and lots of RAM and fast CPUs.

a mail server - postfix. This might need lots of disk, depending
  on what you're doing, but even a terabyte is actually a
  ridiculous amount of mail storage for a small company.

a general utility box with lots of storage to handle backups -
  on which you might run your DNS server, NTP server, store
  logs, and run borg or rsync backups of the other machines.

You might consider a git server, too.

-dsr-