Re: Advice on hardware server to use for small a dedicated data center

On 6/28/20 3:58 PM, D. R. Evans wrote:

Dan Ritter wrote on 6/26/20 1:41 PM:
echo test wrote:

Note: I will need some RAID solution hard or soft.
We are firmly of the opinion that mdadm or ZFS are the best
solutions here.

Absolutely.

Actually I'd go further and differentiate the two by suggesting that if you
use ECC memory (which you definitely should for a business server) then ZFS is
the way to go. If for some reason you can't use ECC memory, then mdadm is
arguably the thing to use (although there is certainly a valid position that
says that ZFS is /still/ the right one). At least, that's the way I have my
systems configured.

Just to be clear... mdadm is NOT raid - it's an admin program for managing linux raid (md) devices.  And then you need to worry about LVM (logical volume manager), and a network file system on top of them.

Miles

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown