Re: Advice on hardware server to use for small a dedicated data center

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020, 2:41 PM Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
echo test wrote:
> Then, I want to build a small data center for my company for hosting a web
> app and a mail server. It's the first time I'm going to buy some hardware
> for this. I tried looking for it on the web in order to compare them but it
> seems that hardware vendors never want to talk about Debian on their
> websites.

> So, I want to know if It's a good idea to try using Debian in an enterprise
> context, with hardwares like Dell EMC PowerEdge or Lenovo ThinkCenter which
> seems to never mention that they support Debian. What kind of issues can I
> encounter with such hardwares except simple cases like having to install
> missing drivers with some already available firmwares.
>
> Can you give me some alternative hardwares in case this idea may take me to
> much time to solve ?

My employer runs more than a hundred Debian servers, mostly on
Supermicro hardware, but some HP as well.

We have very few hardware problems.

Ditto. Ive worked for firms that run hundreds of Debian servers on hardware and cloud. Both Dell and Lenovo/IBM have supported linux on their hardware at various times. There is also an IBM Poweredge linux email  list that Im still on.

> Note: I will need some RAID solution hard or soft.

We are firmly of the opinion that mdadm or ZFS are the best
solutions here.

I prefer ZFS but I find that lots of corps prefer mdadm. I really think that's simply because ZFS came from Sun and they lack Solaris backgrounds. Now, in a low-RAM environment with simpler disc needs, I would probably go with mdadm. Anything else I would choose ZFS. It's ability to take care of itself is surprisingly strong. Less work for me after the set up and installation.

-dsr-