Re: waaay offtopic

On Fri 29 May 2020 at 13:21:45 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 29 May 2020 13:00:58 David Wright wrote:

> > > Gene mentioned several times (in completely unrelated threads) that
> > > he keeps the wireless turned off, because apparently his neighbour
> > > is able to steal his internet more or less instantly.
> > >
> > > No mention whatsoever was made about what (if any!) wireless
> > > security option is in use. It might as well have been WEP (which is
> > > known to be crackable for many years now) or none.
> > >
> > > Or it might have been some incompetent or malicious[1] website using
> > > up Gene's internet and the neighbour is inocent. Or a download
> > > script stuck in a loop, or... etc.
> > >
> > > Occam's razor suggests Gene will be just fine with WPA2-PSK.
> > >
> > > [1] see Hanlon's razor
> >
> > Perhaps something is explained by
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/05/msg01315.html
> > but I couldn't understand any of
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2020/05/msg00736.html
>
> Obviously then you have never "reset" firefox.  That makes it a brand new
> install, clearing ALL your passwds and logins and restoring ALL its
> defaults. I still do not have full access to my bank although online
> purchases are working. It did NOT warn me of that 'side' effect.  So
> yes, I'm pi$$ed, I've had to do new passwd resets at all the places I do
> business with. And while chromium has remembered a few of the renewed
> ones, it is not saving them all. And I've yet to decipher why.  So I
> need to pull down a whole slew of post-it notes and put up new ones.

What does this have to do with your router and wifi security, which
was being discussed—why does FF have anything to do with that.

You've posted elsewhere about your router and it's reflashed firmware,
and how others might be better off with it, but its wifi performance
seems hopeless. I agree with Andrei, that's it's probably misconfigured.

As for FF, it appears that you're telling us that all your login IDs
and passwords are stored within its configuration. This is crazy.
I can believe that when you reset FF, you may have to answer extra
security questions (gat authorisation codes, and so forth), but not
carry out password resets at places like banks. Don't you keep a
record of your userIDs even?

And what's this about factory-resetting the router? No idea.
Nor about selling FF to the spammers. As usual, our experiences
seem to be completely divergent. I guess IPv6 will be the next
sudden lurch in this thread, or the resolver, or another of your
usual bêtes noires.

Cheers,
David.