Re: package python3-chardet breaks package python-chardet

On 14.05.20 08:36, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Mi, 13 mai 20, 17:40:45, Marco Möller wrote:
Unfortunately I now see that there are already many packages from /sid
residing in my supposed to be /testing installation. FrankenDebian detected.

This might happen if the package has the same version in testing as in
unstable. 'apt list <package>' is correct (as well as
'apt policy <pacakge>').

According to the following command I currently have some roughly 60 packages from /unstable in my supposed to be /testing Debian installation, besides some manually installed packages:

  apt list -a | grep installed | grep -v -E 'testing|local'

I meanwhile figured out that the easiest way for obtaining my wished result to include Firefox from /unstable into my otherwise /testing Debian installation could be to define some "Pin-Priority" in a file like:

  /etc/apt/preferences.d/package-pinning.pref

I now created such file and defined the following rules (I do not have an apt.conf file which could interfere with a potential Default-Release definition there):

  Explanation: prefer this specific package to be taken from unstable
  Package: firefox
  Pin: release a=unstable
  Pin-Priority: 600

  Explanation: generally ignore unstable packages
  Package: *
  Pin: release unstable
  Pin-Priority: 50

As downgrades are risky and the packages drawn in by the apt upgrades obviously show recent maintenance activity, I am for now hoping that the package maintenance activity will continue and by this in a couple of weeks my installation will clean up automatically when again using all packages (except Firefox) from /testing once newer versions than I have them now installed from /unstable will have arrived in /testing.

Concerning the Cherrytree and python-chardet problem my plan is to even more trust in 'hope' that cherrytree will after years soon find its way back into the currently updating Debian repositories. :-(