package python3-chardet breaks package python-chardet

As package python3-chardet defines to break package python-chardet, I cannot upgrade python3-chardet because I am still very satisfied using software "cherrytree" which depends on python-chardet. My finding is, that I would have to remove python-chardet, which subsequently would also remove cherrytree. This is also the solution found by 'apt dist-upgrade'. I am wondering why those packages could not simply stay installed in parallel, as before, or what other solution I now could have available? If there is no practicable solution, then how to proceed? Writing an email to the package maintainers and ask them to rethink about the defined dependencies of their packages, asking Piotr to maybe remove the "breaks" definition, or asking Guiseppe to "depend" on python3-chardet instead of python chardet? I am not feeling good with either of these ideas.
How would you treat this?
Thanks, Marco.