Re: package python3-chardet breaks package python-chardet

On 13.05.20 16:23, Marco Möller wrote:
As package python3-chardet defines to break package python-chardet, I cannot upgrade python3-chardet because I am still very satisfied using software "cherrytree" which depends on python-chardet. My finding is, that I would have to remove python-chardet, which subsequently would also remove cherrytree. This is also the solution found by 'apt dist-upgrade'. I am wondering why those packages could not simply stay installed in parallel, as before, or what other solution I now could have available? If there is no practicable solution, then how to proceed? Writing an email to the package maintainers and ask them to rethink about the defined dependencies of their packages, asking Piotr to maybe remove the "breaks" definition, or asking Guiseppe to "depend" on python3-chardet instead of python chardet? I am not feeling good with either of these ideas.
How would you treat this?
Thanks, Marco.

SORRY for the noise! I should have done my homework first:
FrankenDebian detected.

- cherrytree was not installed from the Debian repository
- /etc/apt/sources.list contains:
    deb http://debian.redimadrid.es/debian/ bullseye main non-free contrib
    deb http://debian.redimadrid.es/debian/ sid main

I remember very well why it is needed to get Cherrytree from upstream and it is thus clear that I have to search for the solution there, and not to bother the Debian package maintainer of python3-chardet for the long time obsolete python-chardet package. I also will first have to figure out again what in the past made me include /sid to my sources.list file. This was most likely for receiving as early as possible the Firefox and Thunderbird upgrades? This was actually the reason to switch half a year ago from the /stable to the /testing distribution and maybe I was still not satisfied with the delays for these packages until they become available in /testing, although already far better than for /stable? Unfortunately I now see that there are already many packages from /sid residing in my supposed to be /testing installation. FrankenDebian detected. THIS I HAVE TO FIX NOW FIRST!

So, I'll do my homework now first and shut up. Again, SORRY for the noise!