Re: package python3-chardet breaks package python-chardet

On Jo, 14 mai 20, 11:40:51, Marco Möller wrote:
> On 14.05.20 08:36, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Mi, 13 mai 20, 17:40:45, Marco Möller wrote:
> > > Unfortunately I now see that there are already many packages from /sid
> > > residing in my supposed to be /testing installation. FrankenDebian detected.
> >
> > This might happen if the package has the same version in testing as in
> > unstable. 'apt list <package>' is correct (as well as
> > 'apt policy <pacakge>').
>
> According to the following command I currently have some roughly 60 packages
> from /unstable in my supposed to be /testing Debian installation, besides
> some manually installed packages:
>
>   apt list -a | grep installed | grep -v -E 'testing|local'

'apt list' also has the '--installed' switch. You can then drop the '-a'
as you only care about the installed version.

> I meanwhile figured out that the easiest way for obtaining my wished result
> to include Firefox from /unstable into my otherwise /testing Debian
> installation could be to define some "Pin-Priority" in a file like:
>
>   /etc/apt/preferences.d/package-pinning.pref
>
> I now created such file and defined the following rules (I do not have an
> apt.conf  file which could interfere with a potential Default-Release
> definition there):
>
>   Explanation: prefer this specific package to be taken from unstable
>   Package: firefox
>   Pin: release a=unstable
>   Pin-Priority: 600
>
>   Explanation: generally ignore unstable packages
>   Package: *
>   Pin: release unstable
>   Pin-Priority: 50

For using testing with selected packages from unstable the same scheme
used by stable + backports should work:

    * pin unstable to 100
    * no specific package pin
    * install packages with 'apt install -t unstable <package>'

This will also ensure automatic upgrades and works without any further
configuration in case you decide later you need additional packages from
unstable.

> As downgrades are risky and the packages drawn in by the apt upgrades
> obviously show recent maintenance activity, I am for now hoping that the
> package maintenance activity will continue and by this in a couple of weeks
> my installation will clean up automatically when again using all packages
> (except Firefox) from /testing once newer versions than I have them now
> installed from /unstable will have arrived in /testing.

In general yes. In practice some packages from unstable will never reach
testing for various reasons. In case you still have unstable-only
package versions in a couple of weeks you could investigate on
tracker.debian.org why they haven't migrated to testing (yet).

> Concerning the Cherrytree and python-chardet problem my plan is to even more
> trust in 'hope' that cherrytree will after years soon find its way back into
> the currently updating Debian repositories.  :-(

Debian intends to remove Python 2 as soon as possible (preferably for
bullseye).

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/11/msg00000.html

Kind regards,
Andrei