Re: Output from date command defaults to 12-hour in Buster.

Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> writes:
> It's an intentional change.  It's a "feature" from the libc developers'
> point of view.  As far as they are concerned, Americans use 12-hour
> clocks, so the en_US.utf8 locale is supposed to present times in 12-hour
> format by default.

	This American is an amateur radio operator and before
that was a short wave listener since the age of around eleven and
grew to like the 24-hour clock since any given time occurs
exactly once per day.

	One day, at work several years ago, I saw an outage
announcement for one of our departments for a service and started
to heat up under the collar because the outage was going to be
between 11:00 and 12:30 or something like that but the thermal
rise around the neck line soon cooled when I realized that it was
PM and AM so nothing terrible was about to happen as this would
have been cause for mutiny if it was the middle of the day.

> The fact that many of us *don't* want times shown in that format is a
> preference, so it falls on us to configure our own environments according
> to our own tastes.

	That's fine now that I know what is really happening and
everybody can go home happy.

	I remember grousing to a coworker of mine as to when
would we start telling time like grownups around here,bla,bla,bla
and her response was,

"If you think we're going to start using military time, it's
never going to happen.

	She, by the way, wasn't involved with the outage so we
were just having a conversation and I was glad I caught the AM
and PM parts before making a fool of myself which is easily done.

Martin