Re: Output from date command defaults to 12-hour in Buster.

Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net> writes:
>         Hi.

> If you need it systemwide, consider doing this (will require relogin, at
> least):
> echo 'LC_TIME=C' >> /etc/default/locale

That was what I needed.  /etc/default/locale did not contain that
line but did contain

#  File generated by update-locale
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

> If you need it for your user only (will require a new terminal emulator),
>
> echo 'LC_TIME=C' >> ~/.bashrc

	Many thanks to all who responded.

	I had thought all along that I was dealing with a feature
rather than a bug because one of the beautiful things about the
philosophy of unix-like operating systems is that new
capabilities tend to layer on top of older behaviors so one can
enjoy the best of all worlds when it is practical and safe to
have this capability.

	My first thought after making the change was that it had
had no effect but I was not completely logging out.  I run the
screen utility and so I stopped screen but was still logged in.
After getting down to the login prompt, logging in with the usual
username and password, not only did this installation work but I
happen to be running 2 other installations of buster on  other
old PC's and since the environment variable is exported with each
new screen window, their responses to the date command magically fixed
themselves.

Martin