Re: Jitsi (was Re: Please help me find a good Debian compatible video card).

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 01:09:54AM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
Russell L. Harris (12020-04-27):
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KR0AhDZF2A

As to "...opening access to [your] computer...", what do you mean?

The tutorial shows how to install jitsi from a Debian package.

I we are indeed referring to the same video, it tells how to add an APT
source. Installing a package not from the distribution is risky because
bogus dependencies could block important upgrades. Adding a source does
that, and much worse: the new repository could override any system
package.

At this time the package is not in the Debian archive, but if you have
the expertise you can create your own Debian package from the source,
which is available in github.

I know people, who I know are very skilled, failed to install this from
source, because of pletoric dependencies and/or languages with NIH
distribution schemes. So unless you did, please do not act as if it was
easy.

--
 Nicolas George

There indeed is an element of risk in installing a package which does
not come from the Debian repository.  And, indeed, some packages are
not in the Debian repository because of incompatibilities with other
packages.  And creating a Debian package truly is more difficult than
is installing a package which someone else has created; I did not
claim otherwise.

With terms such as "bogus" and "pletoric" (sic; I presume you mean
"plethoric") you are implying malice and incompetence on the part of
jitsi.  Do you have evidence for such accusation?

Commonsense dictates that a conferencing server be run on dedicated
hardware, rather than on a computer which is vital to local
operations.  In this day of the "smartphone", surplus computers are
abundant and are priced cheaply.  As I stated, by following the video,
I successfully installed Jitsi on an old desktop running Debian 9 (or
perhaps it was Debian 10), and I successfully used the server for
video conferencing.

RLH