Re: Debian is testing Discourse

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 08:07:55PM +0100, Brian wrote:
I do not have a TODO list, but pushing all wiki issues onto debian-www
probably wasn't the best of ideas. It seems to me that discourse would
be a good place to put them.

I think the mistake was trying to drive discussion about the wiki *away* from the wiki. Pushing it to Discourse instead of debian-www@ would not be an improvement in that respect.

At the same time, what is the point of discusssion? A user thinks a
technical point on the wiki is wrong; they know it is wrong; they change
it. Where's the problem?

Discussion pages serve as the place to discuss planning what goes where, explaining changes that might be obvious, asking questions about the content of a page e.g. phrasing to establish whether there's a mistake or something should be reworded for clarity, etc.

Take a look at "Talk" pages on a large Mediawiki instance (E.g. Wikipedia) to see how they can be used. Here's an example
<https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Talk:DOOM.WAD>