Re: Reporting bugs in Stable

On 20/4/20 12:26 am, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Du, 19 apr 20, 09:43:46, Carl Fink wrote:
So this has bugged me every time I run Debian Stable: you find a bug. You
try to report it, and are told not to bother because there's a newer
version.

By? I'm guessing you mean the standard request from reportbug to try a
newer version.
Why is reportbug even in Stable? Why not just replace it with a script that
says "Sorry, bugs in Stable are never fixed. Try Testing." Seriously, that's
literally the Debian policy, that only security fixes are done in Stable.

Actually bugs of severity "important" or higher can be fixed in stable,
provided certain criteria are met.
So, actual question: how usable is the current Testing?

It's usable, though with less guarantees. Have a backup plan in case of
breakage. Mine is typically a paralel stable install, though other
methods exist (e.g. snapshots)

Kind regards,
Andrei

Agree. I have had a couple of issues, but reverting a few days with my snapshot has saved my .... a couple of times - not for several months now, though. I use timeshift, which is usable from terminal or a live .iso of a linux which includes timeshift as a default. Try Mint if you don't have a better option.

You will get more downloads with package updates though. But that is the real difference between stable and testing - testing finds bits that still need updating. Even SID is a stable OS, just gets even more packages updated (from memory, packages stay in SID until about 2 weeks of no major issues?).

--
Keith Bainbridge

ke1th3216@zoho.com
+61 (0)447 667 468