Re: Reporting bugs in Stable

On Du, 19 apr 20, 09:43:46, Carl Fink wrote:
> So this has bugged me every time I run Debian Stable: you find a bug. You
> try to report it, and are told not to bother because there's a newer
> version.

By? I'm guessing you mean the standard request from reportbug to try a
newer version.

> Why is reportbug even in Stable? Why not just replace it with a script that
> says "Sorry, bugs in Stable are never fixed. Try Testing." Seriously, that's
> literally the Debian policy, that only security fixes are done in Stable.

Actually bugs of severity "important" or higher can be fixed in stable,
provided certain criteria are met.

> So, actual question: how usable is the current Testing?

It's usable, though with less guarantees. Have a backup plan in case of
breakage. Mine is typically a paralel stable install, though other
methods exist (e.g. snapshots)

Kind regards,
Andrei