Re: Reporting bugs in Stable

On 4/19/20, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Du, 19 apr 20, 09:43:46, Carl Fink wrote:
>> So this has bugged me every time I run Debian Stable: you find a bug. You
>> try to report it, and are told not to bother because there's a newer
>> version.
>
> By? I'm guessing you mean the standard request from reportbug to try a
> newer version.
>
>> Why is reportbug even in Stable? Why not just replace it with a script
>> that
>> says "Sorry, bugs in Stable are never fixed. Try Testing." Seriously,
>> that's
>> literally the Debian policy, that only security fixes are done in Stable.
>
> Actually bugs of severity "important" or higher can be fixed in stable,
> provided certain criteria are met.

Just in case it helps: you also have Backports.

«Backports are packages taken from the next Debian release (called
"testing"), adjusted and recompiled for usage on Debian stable.»[1]

>> So, actual question: how usable is the current Testing?
>
> It's usable, though with less guarantees. Have a backup plan in case of
> breakage. Mine is typically a paralel stable install, though other
> methods exist (e.g. snapshots)

Another option - if disk-space is a concern - is to have a pendrive at
hand with a couple of your preferred (updated) LiveUSB distros in
something like MultiSystem[2] (which I *really* don't know why isn't
available in Debian repositories...) or anything similar that you
like[3].

Best regards.

[1] https://backports.debian.org/
[2] http://liveusb.info/dotclear/