Reporting bugs in Stable

So this has bugged me every time I run Debian Stable: you find a bug. You
try to report it, and are told not to bother because there's a newer
version. There is no way to install the newer version without manually
fiddling with pointlessly arcane configuration files that are sort of documented
if you squint.

(Yes, the pun on "bug" is deliberate.)

Why is reportbug even in Stable? Why not just replace it with a script that
says "Sorry, bugs in Stable are never fixed. Try Testing." Seriously, that's
literally the Debian policy, that only security fixes are done in Stable.

Yes, technically if the version number in Stable and Experimental are the
same, the bug might get fixed, but the fix would never actually be in Stable
until the current Testing is released.

So, actual question: how usable is the current Testing? Because Stable is
... not so much, and decreasing. (It's fine as a server OS, it's just as a
client box that it effectively degrades over time as software upgrades don't
happen.)
--
Carl Fink                                                  carl@finknetwork.com
https://reasonablyliterate.com                           https://nitpicking.com