Re: BOINC (was Re: For all specimens of Homo sapiens - about COVID19)

On Sunday 19 April 2020 09:39:43 The Wanderer wrote:

> On 2020-04-19 at 09:23, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 19 April 2020 03:03:53 Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:
> >> As for Covid-19 vaccine, we are getting there. I know that because
> >> for past month I was running my systems in full power for BOINC
> >> project Rosetta@Home.
> >> Every research task is for Covid-19.
> >> This is what any sane person should do, and not ruin lives of other
> >> people for faux-currenccy.
> >
> > This might be true, but my singular experience with boinc when seti
> > was turned off was enough to make me wipe it from the system as it
> > insisted on the highest priority the system could muster, leaving me
> > with a frozen, locked up system. Written by a bunch of windows
> > people who considered a linux box was something to disable if they
> > could. Unless boinc has been taught some manners, it will never
> > again be installed on any machine I control. But I have doubts that
> > manners will ever happen as long as winders nuts run it.
>
> Seriously?
>
> It's the *Berkeley* Open Infrastructure for Network Computing project.
> That's the same Berkeley from the quote (found, among other places, in
>
> the fortunes database):
>
> The "Building BOINC" section of their Website [1] seems clearly
> *nix-oriented. The building-the-client section does have Windows build
> directions, but they're listed third, after the ones for "Linux" and
> "other UNIX".
>
> The latest item in their front-page News listing as of this writing
> (dated April 2nd) is about their having moved to a new server, which -
> from the description - is clearly Linux-based.
>
> I don't recall having ever previously heard anything which even
> suggested - never mind indicated - that BOINC was in any way or sense
> Windows-specific or Windows-oriented, except in terms of supporting
> and being able to run on Windows.
>
> Where the ^@#! do you get the idea that BOINC is run by "Winders
> nuts", or was written by "Windows people" in the first place?
>
> [1] https://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/SoftwareBuilding

I haven't even looked at it in a good 12 or 13 years now,  And my opinion
was formed when I sent emails complaining and was told to go pound sand
in pretty plain language. Considering that I had time in seti from the
beginning and ranked in the top 1000 at the time, I felt pretty
seriously insulted. So I did the only thing I could do, and pulled the
plug.  The then new winders management had quite plainly stated their
opinion of my problem.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis